The mission of the Salty Dawg Sailing Association is to transfer the talent and experience from experienced passage makers to new sailors ready to make the transition from coastal or lake cruising to long distance open-ocean adventures. One of the important ways in which we transfer that knowledge is through our seminars and on-line training reference materials. From equipment repairs to heavy weather tactics, offshore forecasting to selection of anchors, and offshore cooking to first aid – the material presented at seminars and available in the Salty Dawg reference library is extensive.
Our speakers and material presented at seminars, and reference articles and checklists are selected after consultation with veteran sailors that are part of the Salty Dawg Sailing Association and our many sponsors. Core to our Mission is the belief that veterans who have sailed many offshore miles can best anticipate the needs of those who are planning their first offshore passage or expanding their horizons in future passages. That’s what makes us different!
Salty Dawg Sailing Association Seminars are held annually prior to the Annapolis Sailboat show, and in Hampton, Virginia prior to departure of the Fall Rally to the Caribbean and Bahamas. Attendance is open to the public.
- Annapolis MD, Wednesday, October 4 – prior to the opening of the U.S. Sailboat Show – open to the public – a full day of seminars designed to support cruisers planning offshore passages this season or in seasons to come. Presentations on weather, communications, and interaction with the US Coast Guard are highlights of the agenda.
- Location: Mears Pavilion
- Schedule: 8am-5pm
- Cost includes the full day of presentations and lunch
- SDSA members – $30/individual;$50/couple
- Non-members – $40/individual; $60/couple
- Hampton VA, Oct. 25 – Oct. 31 – seminars and demonstrations are specifically geared to sailors participating in the Salty Dawg Fall Rallies to the Caribbean and the Bahamas. During the last week before departure, the seminar content is focused on last-minute preparations and passage planning.
Unlike other seminars where speakers represent a product or a service they want to sell, our seminars are designed to tell you what it is really like out there….from the mouths of folks who have been there. It’s not theory … it’s real. The agendas are designed with plenty of breaks between presentations so that you can benefit from one-on-one discussions with the speakers and fellow participants.
If you are going to attend one seminar this year, the Salty Dawg Sailing Association seminars in Annapolis is IT!
And, sign-up for the Salty Dawg Fall Rally to the Caribbean in November, and attend the seminars at Bluewater Yachting Center in Hampton VA prior to departure.
To sign-up for the Annapolis Seminar, contact Our Seminar Coordinator.