Unlike other seminars where speakers represent a product or a service they want to sell, our seminars are designed to tell you what it is really like out there….from the mouths of folks who have been there. It’s not theory … it’s real.
Essentials of Blue Water Sailing
Annapolis MD, Wednesday, October 4 – prior to the opening of the U.S. Sailboat Show – open to the public – a full day of seminars focusing on the Essentials of Blue Water Sailing is designed to support cruisers planning offshore passages this season or in seasons to come.
- Don’t miss Bluewater Sailing Publisher George Day’s Top Ten Tips for outfitting your boat.
- Or, Quantum Sails’ Dave Flynn as he defines the optimal sails for passage-making.
- Chris Parker from Marine Weather Center will explain the rationale behind his blue water routing decisions.
- Ensure that your rig is in the best possible condition for the rigors of offshore sailing by listening to Steve Madden from M Yachts.
- Circumnavigator Rick Palm will review tactics for managing storm conditions.
New to this year’s agenda are two featured speakers:
- Jeff Thomassen from OCENS discusses sat phones and their applications for email and weather services.
- Physician and ocean racer Dr. Howard Champion details medical emergencies offshore. Dr. Champion has developed a handout for participants that includes recommended contents for your offshore medical kit.
Location: The Pavilion at Mears Marina
The price of coffee service, lunch, water and sodas is included in the seminar registration fee of $30 for SDSA Members and $50 for SDSA couple, and $40 for Non-SDSA Members and $60 for non-SDSA Member couples.
(When registering, SDSA members receive their discount to the above prices by using the following Promo Code: SDSA_SEMINAR. And, if you haven’t joined the Salty Dawg Sailing Association yet, now is the perfect time – click here to join now!
Hampton VA, Oct. 25 – Oct. 31 – seminars and demonstrations are specifically geared to sailors participating in the Salty Dawg Fall Rallies to the Caribbean and the Bahamas. During the last week before departure, the seminar content is focused on last-minute preparations and passage planning.
Sign up for the Salty Dawg Fall Rally to the Caribbean in November, and attend the seminars at Bluewater Yachting Center in Hampton VA prior to departure.
Our thanks to Jack Martin Insurance for his generous sponsorship of our Essentials of Blue Water Cruising Seminar in Annapolis.
The mission of the Salty Dawg Sailing Association is to transfer the talent and experience from experienced passage makers to new sailors ready to make the transition from coastal or lake cruising to long distance open-ocean adventures. One of the important ways in which we transfer that knowledge is through our seminars and on-line training reference materials. From equipment repairs to heavy weather tactics, offshore forecasting to selection of anchors, and offshore cooking to first aid – the material presented at seminars and available in the Salty Dawg reference library is extensive.
Core to our Mission is the belief that veterans who have sailed many offshore miles can best anticipate the needs of those who are planning their first offshore passage or expanding their horizons in future passages. That’s what makes us different!