Hosting blue water rallies in the U.S. and Caribbean is our specialty. Each rally is an opportunity for sailors to cruise-in-company, with the safety that a rally can provide. Check out this impressive list.
- Fall Rally – from the US to the Caribbean – rally leaves in early November from Hampton, VA and ends at the Bitter End Yacht Club in Virgin Gorda, BVI. Learn from demonstrations, seminars, and briefings to help in passage preparation and cruise planning. Meet new friend and re-unite with old ones.
- Spring Rally – from the Caribbean to a US port or Bermuda. Rally leaves the BVI in mid May.
- Rally to Maine – Departs from the Chesapeake Bay and Newport, RI areas to arrive in Rockland, Maine in mid July. The rallies an opportunity to gain offshore, overnight experience, and, of course, enjoy the beauty of Maine, plus lobsters, blueberries, and clam chowder, quaint villages, and cool nights.
- Rally to Cuba – Our inaugural rally from departed from two locations (the BVI and Key West FL) in late March 2017. Our fleet visited Cuba for 14 days and researched the most extensive cruisers’ guide to Cuba and Cuban Life ever compiled. (Look for publication early this summer.)
- Great Lakes Rally to Hampton – With increasing numbers of Canadians joining the Salty Dawg Fall Rally, we are pleased to introduce a feeder rally, scheduled to leave Toronto on October 9. The rally will follow a route across the Great Lakes, through the New York Lock System, down the Hudson River, through New York Harbor, and down the east coast to Hampton in time for the Fall Rally festivities that begin on Oct. 26. Non-Canadians are encouraged to join along the way.
When you join a Salty Dawg Rally, you can expect:
- Weather briefings, daily forecasts, and personalized routing guidance
- On-line fleet tracking for friends and families to watch your progress….and to better locate you in case of an emergency
- Shore side coordination and at-sea SSB communications
- Extensive preparation assistance
- Mooring and slip discounts
- Social events: fun, friendships, frolic
- The lowest possible entry fee with the greatest possible payback!
- And Much More! (Link to Reasons to Join Us)
What began as a small group of friends sailing south together in the Fall of 2011 has become a multi-event association of like-minded cruisers —- both experienced Salty Dawgs and sailors new to ocean sailing. Members of the SDSA enjoy camaraderie and friendships when they join our formal events and gather for informal get-togethers in distant harbors. And, over 40 Corporate Partners help support the Dawgs with amazing discounts and donations.
All Salty Dawg Rallies are run by volunteer blue water sailors eager to share their extensive offshore experience, including circumnavigation, ocean crossings, and numerous Gulf Stream crossings and passages to the Caribbean.
SEA STORIES FROM THE DAWGS
- THE HEINEKEN REGATTA – By Kelly Brown and Linda Strachan – Canadian Yachting, April 2017
- SAILING ON MORELLO – By Julie Palm – Multihulls Quarterly, Winter 2016
- CRUISING CUBA – A First-Timer’s Perspective – By Robert Osborn – Bluewater Sailing, Sept 2016
- SAILING WITH THE SALTY DAWGS – By Benjamin Yeager – Bluewater Sailing, Jan 2015
- PASSAGE FROM BONAIRE – By Hank George – Multihulls Quarterly, Fall 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: My Salty Dawg Rally – By Marcus Libkind – Bluewater Sailing, Feb 2014
- CRUISING DISPATCHES: Who Let the (Salty) Dawgs Out – By Joy Smith – Bluewater Sailing, Jan 2013
For More Stories By and About the Dawgs, click here.