The largest rally hosted by the Salty Dawg Sailing Association is the Fall Rally to the Caribbean. The Salty Dawg Fall Rally is the largest organized flotilla of cruisers leaving the East Coat for the Caribbean….and the most fun.
The Fall Rally opens the door to new friends and experiences while cruising the Caribbean.
- The Fall Rally will depart from Hampton, VA near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The departure date is November 3, weather permitting. Special consideration will be made for those who wish to start from other ports on the Eastern seaboard or arrive at another port in the Caribbean.
- Fall Rally participants can choose from three destinations:
- Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
- North Sound, British Virgin Islands
- Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
The SDSA unites experienced ocean sailors with developing cruisers to broaden their blue water horizons. All Salty Dawg rallies and events are led by seasoned sailors who volunteer their time and knowledge to help cruisers realize their dreams … safely.
If you would like to join us as a volunteer, we would love to benefit from your passion, personality, and expertise as we plan future events. Click here to volunteer.
THE FALL RALLY FROM START TO FINISH
Prior to departure, the rally schedule at Bluewater Yachting Center in Hampton VA begins October 26.
Passage preparation is the emphasis of the week-long series of seminars, demonstrations, briefings, including a U.S.Coast Guard presentation about their Search & Rescue Operations.
Captains can sign up for individual HELP sessions for Single Sideband Radio training, tracker set-up, and rig inspections.
Multiple weather and routing briefings from Chris Parker of Marine Weather Center help captains determine the best window for their departure.
Free transportation to marine and provisioning centers is available.
A full schedule of social activities foster the strong bonds Salty Dawgs enjoy. You will love our Dark & Stormy Happy Hour and annual Halloween Party!
Once underway, our OCENS – sponsored “Follow the Fleet” tracking system will follow your progress based on the position reports you send either electronically or by radio.
- Friends, family, and armchair sailors can follow your track.
- Our Shoreside Team monitors your progress and becomes an important element of our response in case of emergency.
- In addition, as a courtesy to our fleet, the US Coast Guard Command Center 5th District Office of Public Affairs, Portsmouth, VA monitors our tracking site to be better prepared to assist, if needed.
- Each Captain receives daily weather updates by email and can access personalized weather routing suggestions, if needed.
- Daily SSB radio nets keep boats in contact with each other, sharing tales of offshore problem-solving and fishing success.
FALMOUTH HARBOUR, ANTIGUA
NORTH SOUND, VIRGIN GORDA, BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS
GREEN TURTLE CAY, ABACOS, BAHAMAS
Destination activities will include:
- A Welcome Dinner to congratulate participants on their “Safe Arrival.”
- Multiple Happy Hours and other social events.
- Discounts on dockage, moorings, and local services.
All for Salty Dawgs – and, all coordinated by a morning Salty Dawg VHF Net.
More information about Destination activities will be posted as they become available.
SHOW YOUR TRUE COLORS AS A SALTY DAWG
Hats, shirts and other merchandise featuring our ubiquitous Love-Me-Love-My Dawg logo are available for sale at Salty Dawg events. Wear a colorful Salty Dawg hat or shirt to denote your status as one of our special breed. All proceeds support the mission of the Salty Dawg Sailing Association.
For more information, Contact SDSAstore@saltydawgsailing.org