The Salty Dawg Sailing Association™ organizes several blue water rallies in the U.S. and Caribbean, offering opportunities for sailors to travel in company, with the safety that a rally can provide. Check out this impressive list.
- Fall Rally – from the US to the Caribbean. This awesome rally leaves in early November from Hampton, VA, Beaufort, NC or other East Coast ports for the passage to the BVI. Enjoy extensive seminars and briefings in Hampton, great socials and dinners before and after the passage, and just great fun.
- Spring Rally – from the Caribbean back to a US port or Bermuda. This coming Spring Rally will be just in time to be in Bermuda for the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup Qualifier Series, or to get back to the US for another beautiful Spring. Leaves May 15. Many cool events before departure.
- Rally to Maine – Departs from the Chesapeake Bay and Newport, RI areas to arrive in Rockland, Maine. Gain offshore, overnight experience, and of course enjoy the beauty of Maine, plus lobsters, blueberries, and clam chowder, quaint villages, and cool nights.
- Bequia to BVI Rally – Departs in early November for Virgin Gorda in the BVI. Great painkiller party and Salty Dawg dinner in Bequia, and join all the Dawgs from the Fall Rally in North Sound, Virgin Gorda.
- Rally to Cuba – This inaugural rally will depart the BVI in late March 2017, and vessels and crew will be able to be in Cuba April 5th – 18th.
SDSA Rallies – Pre-departure planning and preparation, extensive seminars, a wealth of offshore preparation reference material and checklists, weather briefings, continual monitoring and tracking of vessel positions and progress, and extensive offshore communication nets, email and Sat phone support assure that all vessels are safe, and any assistance needs are immediately addressed. Extensive social activities before departure and after arrival ensure the camaraderie and lasting friendships for which Salty Dawg Rallies are known.
What began as a small group of friends sailing south together in the Fall of 2011, the Fall Rally has become the dominant cruising rally on the U.S. East Coast. The Fall Rally attracts 75 to 120 boats. Sailors with open ocean experience can register and participate in a Salty Dawg Rally™.
All Salty Dawg Rallies are run by volunteer blue water sailors with extensive offshore experience, including circumnavigation, ocean crossings, and numerous Gulf Stream crossings and passages to the Caribbean. Because of these volunteers and the more than 40 sponsors of the SDSA, rally fees are very low.
Rally Benefits – Participants in any of the Rallies that begin or end in the BVI:
- Have access to quite a few basic benefits, just by signing up (see Spring & Fall Caribbean Rally Benefits ), AND
- Have the opportunity to sign up for additional benefits called Premier Benefits, like free and discounted moorings, extensive discounts on food, rental cars, dockage, and diving services, and much more. Go to Premier Status to sign up for these added Premier Benefits, for a nominal fee. This is a great deal!