A SWEET WATER TO SALTY WATER ADVENTURE : Great Lakes sailors have long been a fun-loving and capable contingent in the Salty Dawg Fall Rally to the Caribbean. Some come from the US side of the Great Lakes; others are Canadian. They refer to themselves as Sweetwater sailors (as opposed to those of us who spend our time cruising in salty waters).
The Salty Dawg Great Lakes Rally to the Chesapeake Bay is designed to help those from the Great Lakes to cruise-in-company from Toronto, through the New York Barge Canal, down the Hudson River, and down the East Coast to the Chesapeake Bay … All in time to enjoy the Bay and join the Salty Dawg Fall Rally activities that begin in Hampton VA on October 26.
Whether you start with the rally in Toronto… or join the fleet along the way….you will enjoy the company of your fellow Salty Dawgs.
The SDSA unites experienced ocean sailors with developing cruisers to broaden their blue water horizons. All Salty Dawg rallies and events are led by seasoned sailors who volunteer their time and knowledge to help cruisers realize their dreams … safely.
If you would like to join us as a volunteer, we would love to benefit from your passion, personality, and expertise as we plan future events. Click here to volunteer.
about the Great lakes rally
Pre-departure events in Toronto, will include a Captain’s Meeting, a weather briefing by Chris Parker, and a fun social gathering.
- The rally will proceed through all 36 locks of the New York Barge Canal (aka the Erie Canal) – 338 miles.
Due the constraints of the Canal transit, this portion of the rally will be limited to 15 participants. First come, First serve.
- The rally will continue down the Hudson River and through New York Harbor – 160 miles.
- Other New England sailors headed for the Chesapeake Bay and the Salt Dawg Fall Rally are welcome to join the Great Lakes contingent at any point along the way.
- The Fleet will gather at the base of the Hudson River to await a weather window for the leg to the Chesapeake Bay.
Once underway, our OCENS – sponsored “Follow the Fleet” tracking system will follow your progress based on the position reports you send either electronically or by radio.
- Friends, family, and armchair sailors can follow your track.
- Our Shoreside Coordinator monitors your progress and becomes an important element of our emergency response in case of emergency.
- By email, each Captain receives daily weather updates and can access personalized weather routing suggestions, if needed.
- Daily radio nets keep boats in contact with each other, sharing tales of offshore problem-solving and fishing success.
MORE ABOUT THE ROUTE
The New York State Canal System is a successor to the Erie Canal and other canals within New York. Currently, the 525-mile system is composed of the Erie Canal, the Oswego Canal, the Cayuga–Seneca Canal, and the Champlain Canal.
The Hudson River is a 315-mile (507 km) river that flows from north to south primarily through eastern New York in the United States. The river originates in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York, flows through the Hudson Valley, and eventually drains into the Atlantic Ocean, between New York City and Jersey City.
The destination for the great Lakes Rally will be the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. After a Welcome Party, the fleet will be free to cruise casually through the Bay enjoying towns and cities as well as beautiful anchorages.
The pre-departure activities for the Fall Rally to the Caribbean begin October 26 in Hampton VA.
- SDSA Members – $100
- Non-SDSA Members – $200
Evening dinners and mooring fees will be paid directly by participants. Rally fees include a Rally Flag.
Registration for the Salty Dawg Great Lakes Rally to the Chesapeake Bay will open March 1, 2018.
DAWGS IN CANADIAN NEWS
SHOW YOUR TRUE COLORS AS A SALTY DAWG
Hats, shirts and other merchandise featuring our ubiquitous Love-Me-Love-My Dawg logo are available for sale at Salty Dawg events. Wear a colorful Salty Dawg hat or shirt to denote your status as one of our special breed. All proceeds support the mission of the Salty Dawg Sailing Association. For more information, Contact SDSAstore@saltydawgsailing.org